Thursday, 6 June 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow



Bertha sits pleasantly idle on the drive. Enjoying her own vacation, she is no longer roughly pulled along the many concrete ribbons of motorway, as her shiny cutlery rattles and left open cupboard doors slam aggressively shut. She wears her barely visible, touring badges with pride as she remembers sunny days spent in Holland, Germany and France.


She has lived a life has Bertha, her original family obviously took good care of her, although for a while she had no purpose. Left alone, unloved and neglected, in a forest of nettles and dandelions that grew lazily around the arches of her tiny wheels. Her new home is much prettier. It's garden is cared for. It's family busy and overcrowded, so Bertha has a new role as a spare room, which suits her retirement perfectly. 


As her owner lovingly restores her, she dreamily sits in the sun admiring the rambling roses that climb the white picket fence. She is so pleased to see that daisies are being planted in the front border, as they sway in the breeze, they really brighten the place up.


Bertha feels content in her old age, she feels loved again, admired and useful. Her peeling paint is in need of a fresh coat, but she overheard her owners making plans to get the job finished this weekend, as they were tidying up the red vine that climbs gracefully up the front of their little, old house.


Of course, with some work she could tour on the road again, but for now she is happy to be static, behind white picket gates, and watch the passers by on their way down to the quayside and the pub. Her life is peaceful. She is satisfied with what she has and where she has been. Her life as a retro caravan, sitting in the front garden is completely idyllic.




Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

19 comments:

  1. Lovely post, I feel like Bertha sometimes, I'm a bit retro myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, love this post! Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with Bertha now and think you should write a children's book about her adventures. Your words are lovely. So is your garden. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bertha sounds fab! Can we have a tour of the inside too? Sounds like she is being very well cared for! X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bertha is very lucky! What beautiful photos. I love that red vine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only are they lovely photos, but, I am going to have to show this post to my Little Louis Fox who is obsessed with caravans. Bertha is a beauty and I'd love to have her in my garden. I think I might need a bigger garden tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a Bertha in my garden! Nice to imagine her history! Lovely photographs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a Bertha, somewhere beautiful to escape! Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this post Emma, your photos are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bertha rocks! I love how to write about her and I love your photos. Generally I am in awe of you :)

    I have to say I feel a bit like Bertha, calm after years of being here there and everywhere.

    I really, really loved reading this - and thank you for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Bertha... And what gorgeous photos! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched a fantastic renovation program the other day about a caravan that was made into a spare room and renovated, it was superb. Bertha is fab. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her travel badges! I bet she's lovely to hang out in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bertha sounds amazing - how I wish I had one just like her. A delightful read, as usual xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad Bertha is getting the retirement she deserves and is still useful. What a lovely setting for her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet, how lucky Bertha is :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good practice for writing your book, Mama, this is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving Bertha, what a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! I bet Bertha loves her new home, she seems very lucky to be looking at a garden like that

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...